Keeping your kitchen equipment working is good for business. You can’t cook with broken equipment. It also ensures you have equipment that is running safely.
Properly maintaining kitchen equipment also helps to extend its life. Restaurant insurance can help to cover breakdowns from unforeseen accidents. However, it does not cover loss related to maintenance concerns or neglect. You need to have a comprehensive maintenance program in place to keep systems operating.
Follow Manufacturer Recommendations
Every type of equipment in your kitchen probably has an owner’s manual. Specific maintenance plans are usually developed by the manufacturers. However, some people are keen to misplace manuals. The good news is you can usually access them online from the manufacturer’s website. Look specifically for:
- Proper usage guidelines
- Sanitation guidelines
- Daily and weekly cleaning
- Planned maintenance tasks that may occur monthly, quarterly or annually
- Inspection requirements from a licensed technician
You should usually follow a manufacturer's recommendations about maintenance.
Keeping Your Equipment Functional
There is more restaurants should do to ensure normal wear and tear does not interfere with their equipment.
- Ensure that a trained professional inspects and repairs your equipment. Choose someone who understands the specific functionality of the item.
- Visual inspections are always important. Prior to use, look for things like frayed cords or malfunctioning systems. You should also look over your equipment regularly, even if it is just a quick glance.
- Train employees on proper usage of the equipment. This can significantly lessen the risk of problems later. Also, train them on proper cleaning of the equipment.
Following these guidelines does several things. First, it ensures the end product continues to make customers happy. It also helps ensure that your business meets sanitation and code rules. It expands the life of the equipment.
If there is a need to file a restaurant insurance claim, you also have a record to show that you've maintained the equipment. This can help an insurance provider honor your claim.
Know the benefits of having the right restaurant insurance for your kitchen equipment. It can make the difference later when you need to file a claim.
Do you have equipment maintenance tips? Leave a comment below. Don’t forget to check out the rest of our website for the best rates on business insurance.